Saturday, April 21, 2012

Easter 2012

Let me just preface this happy, all around beautiful celebration with the explanation of me discovering that holidays in a new country will be unmistakable different.

In preparation for Easter I went to the store to purchase the necessities: 1) Easter candy, 2) dinner supplies (ham, cheesy potatoes...the works), and the 3) plastic eggs to fill and hide. 

Here's how it went down:

1) Easter candy: In this country they don't do big bags of candy (or anything for that matter) to divvy up amongst a family. You buy one giant chocolate egg and then some multi packs of random chocolate. Different, but chocolate is still chocolate, so I'm rolling with it. 

2) Ham. Ok, the "gammons" here are not cooked people. Totally raw. So after some research, and a few stressed out moments, I figured out how to tackle the uncooked ham. I soaked the (non-frozen) ham for 3 hours followed by some intense herbal and flavoring treatment, then boiled and baked. In the end it came out actually pretty good, but can I just tell you to please appreciate the beauty of an already cooked ham in your neighborhood grocery store. 

With the ham part down I attempted to get the supplies for the good ol' cheesy potatoes. Sadly, it called for Cream of Chicken Soup which upon an execution of Hawaiin Haystacks I did discover that they had, but sadly it tastes nothing like it should, so we did without the cheesy taters. 

3) They had approximately 1 bag of 8 plastic eggs and I bought them. SUCCESS! 

Ok, now that the mostly uninteresting details of a housewife's Easter woes are over let's get down to business.

Livvy and Jude

They did not notice any of my Easter faux pas (such as using a mixing bowl instead of a basket) and thoroughly enjoyed their Easter egg morning. 




We got all dolled up for church (thanks Vern for the adorable dress for Livvy) and we celebrated the true meaning of Easter, our Saviors life and resurrection.



We even had the special treat of having my-touring-Europe cousin and her husband over for they day!

It was a beautiful day and I am so glad it was so full of family! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. Jude is so cute! He looks like he is having the best day of his life!

    ReplyDelete