Sunday, May 20, 2012

UK Road Trip: Worst day

 My least favorite day of the trip. We spent most of it driving. Our first stop was at a circle of Roman rocks in the middle of a tiny English town in the middle of a random field of sheep.

And it was freezing and raining. But a certain tourist would not be deterred. So out we went and thank goodness we did so I could capture my favorite picture of the trip. 



Once the amazing Roman circle of rocks were behind us we made our way to Liverpool to see where the Beatles lived and the cathedral.


We had planned on touring John Lennon's house, but as soon as we got into Liverpool we were ready to get out. We headed in stopped quickly to see the cathedral (5th biggest in the world) and left.  We toured the cathedral and both of us thought is was pretty incredible due to its size, but as we were leaving I turned to Lincoln and said that of all the cathedrals we'd been to, this one I didn't feel the same sacredness that I normally felt. It felt big, but not holy.

Liverpool was not much of an improvement. The town was run down and dirty. I read that McCartney and Lennon came from humble backgrounds, and I can definitely envision that after seeing their hometown.

While driving around their town it made me think about the Beatles. I like their songs, they were talented, but they were rock stars and lived like rock stars live. They represented an entire movement in their day and I don't think I'll ever understand what they represented because I wasn't around then. Either way, Liverpool was a quick and sad stop on our trip.

1 comment:

  1. That cathedral is massive I remember! It is a pretty dirty town but I totally miss their fish n chips :) they had some cool museums too. Sorry it was a rough day.

    ReplyDelete